Chapter 1: Risky business

It's test time. You've had no warning, but that's ok. Your answers will not depend on study. For each question you must choose between two alternatives – even if you agree or disagree with both – by circling either 1 or 2. This is not a scientifically designed exam. If you answer honestly, though, you may learn something about yourself and your faith.

Take the test

Response: What's your worldview?

Test time – uh, oh. I haven't even studied. Now you should know that I actually went to Texas Lutheran College (TLC) from 1983 to 1987. And yes, I had to take theology courses from my dad. I even dropped one of his courses once, because I knew I wasn't going to make an "A": I didn't have time to study or some such excuse.

So, here I am traveling down memory lane to my college days. I'm trying to determine how I would have responded to this test in that former life. I was probably even at TLC when my dad delivered his Risky Business message at the school chapel, but I certainly wasn't in attendance. I didn't have time for chapel. You see, after high school I had had enough of organized religion. I felt it had too much hypocrisy, too much oppression, and too much sexism. Going to church just made me mad and sad. Ironically, at TLC I got exposed to all sorts of worthy religions and philosophies from around the world, and came away utterly disenchanted with the Christianity I knew.

Chapter 1: Risky business (pdf)

No comments: